In order to obtain a contempt order in Massachusetts it involves filing a motion against the other party in court.  This is done when the other party does not comply with requirements of the Separation Agreement, stipulation between the parties, or a court order.  In most cases, this occurs when a party does not pay child support or the terms of the parenting agreement has been violated.

If the court determines that the other party violated a court order when they had the ability to do so, a court may issue a contempt order.  Penalties for contempt include:

  • The issuance of an order to pay all past-due sums.
  • An order to pay attorney fees for the party who brought the complaint, or;
  • In some circumstances, jail time.