Paternity/Unwed Parents

In Massachusetts, if you have a child with another person you have similar rights for child support and visitation with the child as though you were once married and divorced.  Paternity is established in two ways in Massachusetts:

  1. A Voluntary acknowledgment process where a legal form is signed by both the Mother and Father acknowledging the child’s paternity; or
  2. A court process where, the Mother or the man believing to be the Father files a form with the court called a “Complaint to Establish Paternity.” 

Once paternity is established the issues or child support, health insurance, and parenting time - -visitation- -with the child need to be addressed.

 We will help you figure out how to navigate the sometimes overwhelming and confusing court system to help obtain the best possible results for you and your child.